Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Team Leisure and Fun: Vacation!



from Ann Pencil
Director of Resident Services





I was fortunate enough to fulfill a life long dream last month by visiting and hiking the Grand Canyon . As a young girl, my dad and I shared a love of this beautiful place and unfortunately he passed away last November and never had the opportunity to see it, so I felt as though I was seeing it for both of us.

I have included several photos of the spots that I found breath taking as well as awe inspiring. I hope you enjoy looking at them as much as I enjoyed taking them.

-The South Rim of the Grand Canyon must be seen in person to realize the enormity of this place. I had to keep reminding myself that Mother Nature herself created this spectacle that I was enjoying. I cannot describe it other than to say it is the most peaceful, tranquil place I have ever visited. One can walk right up to the edge and look straight down the wall of the canyon. Beauty at its best but not for the faint of heart. Hiking here was truly a walk to remember.

-Vaultee Arch, which is a magical place that one must hike to in order to truly appreciate the beauty that surrounds you.

-The Red Rocks of Sedona seemed to turn a deeper shade of red as the rays of a setting sun reflected off of them.

-I was truly surprised that in this high desert country I found flowers of all colors and shapes. Cactus flowers were beautiful and for admiring only.

- Slide Rock State Park brought out the daredevil in me as I climbed to the top of a 20 foot rock and jumped to the cool water below. So refreshing after spending the day hiking nearly 20 miles.

-The Church of the Red Rocks is built into the side of a mountain and must be seen to be believed. One gets an overwhelming feeling of contentment upon entering the doors to this simple, quaint church. I had to smile when I saw the sign planted next to the delicate flowers which read," please don't pick us we're smiling at God."

I so enjoyed this trip in which I had the opportunity to experience first hand the beauty of this wonderful nation we are so blessed to call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment