Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Team Wasson Music: Everyone Should Sing Somewhere

Steve Makofka




Several of the comments I heard about singing in public included the phrase "Yes, there was alcohol involved." If people are more likely to sing in public when they've been drinking, it suggests that the thing that prevents people from singing in public is...well...inhibitions. And nothing takes care of inhibitions better than alcohol. Is it true that most people don't sing in public because they"re too inhibited? Are people who do sing in public just less inhibited? What fear do people have that keeps them from singing in public? Do they fear being embarrassed? What is embarrassing about singing in public? Is it the fear of not singing well?




Have you ever been asked not to sing? Did you stop singing as a result? I've been asked not to sing, usually by family members. If someone asks you not to sing, you should probably sing anyway, unless there is a sleeping baby in the room. If you wake the baby, you have to take care of it. What about concerts? It's true that the person in front of you did not pay good money to hear YOU sing, so you should probably be respectful of the performer and the other members of the audience. But if the person on the stage says, "Sing!" then sing! The people in front of you should be singing, too. If they were singing then your singing wouldn't bother them as much. Have you ever asked someone not to sing? It's alright to ask someone not to sing right here, or right now. But I've had students who have had someone tell them they shouldn't sing at all. How unfortunate.



One of the most amazing vocal performances I ever heard was in a small church in Philadelphia. I was the pastor. There was a girl in the congregation who wanted to sing. She was the sweetest person you would ever want to meet, but she had a mental disability. And from congregational singing the whole church knew that her ability to match pitch was not well developed. (to say the least) But it was a small church and she wanted to sing. I told her the same thing I told everyone who wanted to sing a solo. Before you can sing you have to practice your song ten times in a row and then come sing it for me. I figured this would put her off and save the congregation from five minutes of awkwardness during a service.



The next week she came back smiling. She said, "My sister helped me and we went through the song ten times and I know every word." She sang it for me and she did indeed know every word. A deal's a deal so I told her she could sing it. I don't remember which song she sang, but I remember the performance. From a musical perspective it was not good. Some of the notes were close to being on pitch. Some were not. But when she was done there was not a dry eye in the house. She sang the words with such sincerity and conviction that every heart was moved.



Yesterday during my interview with Charlie, he mentioned singing to his children. He said, "I don't know if they like it because, you know me and pitch." (Charlie is also harmonically challenged.) My thought was, "But you sang to them." What more tender expression of love can their be then for a father to sing to his children? I can't say for certain, but I'm pretty sure they remember it fondly.



Everybody should sing somewhere. Some should sing on stage. Others should sing in the living room, in the kitchen, or in the car. Some should limit their endeavors to the shower. Every parent should sing to their children. Every grandparent should sing to their grandkids. Sing when no one is listening. If you are spiritual, sing as if someone is always listening. Just sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment