Search This Blog

Friday, April 20, 2012

Team Spiritual Care: A Vital Life Experience

Fellow Residents and Staff,

Western Christians are about to begin the third week of Easter, a seven-week Christian festival which has its roots in ancient nature religions’ celebrations of spring.  For Christian and pagan alike, spring is an exuberant expression of life.  How are we responding to spring right now?  Are we celebrating life?  Are we grateful for our life?  If so, how do we express our gratitude?  Does our gratitude affect the way we live? the way we treat our bodies? the way we treat our spirits? the way we treat other people, whether friends, family members, acquaintances, or passersby?

The Easter story is that of Jesus’ rising to new life after his crucifixion and of his sharing that life with us through his Spirit.  That story, that life, that Spirit, changes everything for the believer.  As Saint Paul, the first Christian theologian put it, it is no longer I but Christ who lives within me.  For the Christian, Easter means a life of patience, forbearance, compassion, generosity, forgiveness, integrity, honesty.

For most of my life I thought that those were virtues or qualities that I had to generate from within myself, and after awhile I invariably failed.  I am coming to see that if I let the Spirit of the Risen Jesus live within me, then the Spirit will bring about those virtues in my attitudes and behaviors.  On my own, there are limits to my kindness and dedication.  There comes a point at which I say that I’ve done enough, at which I turn away in anger, at which I become resentful.  If, however, I let go of my ego, with all its pride and fear, and surrender myself to the Spirit, I become a new person, capable of responding in ways that I could never imagine before.

Easter faith is far less about adherence to creeds and much more about abandoning ourselves to the Spirit, and that means peace and joy. . . for ourselves and for those around us.  And if you do not share the Christian faith, can you let your Higher Power, by whatever name you call that Power, renew you and give your life new meaning this spring?

In the words of Saint Francis, Peace and every Blessing!

Loren Connell, OFM,
sacramental minister

April 20, 2011





No comments:

Post a Comment