Search This Blog

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Team Advisory Board: Self-Esteem Rights to Live By

Dr. Dennis O'Grady
Wellness Advisory Committee Member
 

High self-esteem does not come naturally to most of us. It is a learned process, a habit requiring practice day after day. High self-esteem begins with a declaration that you deserve to change your defeatist thinking into self-control, self-competence, and self-acceptance.

High self-esteem is a gift only you can give yourself. It is learning to appreciate who you are, and where your special talents belong. It is learning to put those talents to good use and then giving yourself credit for the accomplishments.

Here are certain fundamental rights that go along with self-esteem. The building blocks of high self-esteem can be summed up in twelve rights that each human being has in common.

Reexamine these rights when you are dealing with difficult people or seemingly impossible situations. Use them to overcome negative emotions and to help you design new ways to fortify and protect your self-esteem.

Self-Esteem Rights

#1: I claim the right to nurture my strengths and unique talents.

#2: I claim the right to congratulate myself for small positive changes.

#3: I claim the right to love myself even when others react in disapproving ways.

#4: I claim the right to make choices which are good for me.

#5: I claim the right to improve my self-worth by setting goals.

#6: I claim the right to use good advice to grow.

#7: I claim the right to live my own life free of resentment.

#8: I claim the right to change myself when everything is going well.

#9: I claim the right to start pleasing myself more.

#10: I claim the right to take positive action in spite of fears that make me feel undesirable.

#11: I claim the right to use all my feelings constructively, including anger.

#12: I claim the right to have my changes noticed and applauded by loved ones

No comments:

Post a Comment